This blog is a continual learning experience. If you will notice, on the left side of the blog page is a section to: Subscribe to Blog via Email. Now, if you’d like, you can enter your email address and any new blog posts will go directly to your email. I ran a test run last night and it seems to work just fine. So you now have that option to follow my ramblings.
Last night I was able to sit down and sew a whole bunch of half square triangles for my “Blue Ridge Beauty” – Okay, I’m going to have to come up with another name for it, since mine is red! Bonnie had suggested something like “Pocono Sunrise” (I actually don’t remember what she really said, but it was something like that!!) I’m thinking it should have “Sunset” in the name because of the saying, “Red sky at night; Sailor’s delight. Red sky at morning; Sailor take warning” If the name has “Sunrise” then it would be about a storm brewing! At least, that is what my crazy reasoning would associate it with!
I had taken my “Five Barns in a Storm” flimsy to the workshop for show and tell and a number of ladies liked it. Here are photos:
I started this as a Leader/Ender project while I was working on this:
Then it started to take over and become the main project. Then I had other things to work on, so it went back to Leader/Ender. Then I got kind of sick of it for a while and didn’t do anything with it. And, finally, I just wanted to get it finished so I could mark it off my list!!! At least I got it to the flimsy stage. One of these days I’m going to have to seriously figure out how I’m going to finish it!!
Here are the stats for those who are curious:
There are 400 log cabin blocks
Each block finishes at 4 1/2″
The red centers were cut at 1 1/2″ square
Each log is a 1″ wide strip of fabric
I used scraps, but also cut 1″ strips from yardage to get the variety of fabrics
The sewing process went something like this: I would take a light strip of fabric and some red squares and sew the squares onto the strip. I would do a few sets like that, then I’d trim the light fabric even with the red squares and press the seam to the outside of the block. I’d rotate those units and sew them to another light strip, press to the outside. Then rotate again and sew them to a dark strip. Always remember to rotate the block in the same direction (ask me how I know!)
There are four rows of logs on each side of the center. Which means that there are 6,800 pieces of fabric in this quilt.
I wanted a mainly brown and cream quilt, but I threw in every color in the rainbow. It’s funny how it really does seem brown from a distance, but there are bright blues, greens, purples, oranges and pinks.
If you can zoom in on the pictures, you’ll see that I used every kind of fabric: modern, civil war reproduction, batik, etc.
Hope that answers some of your questions. You can always leave a comment if there is anything else you want to know.
I have to work for DH today. One of his customers is having some serious plumbing problems and another contractor will be working on it. I have to go and unlock the house and wait for them to do their thing. Not my favorite thing to do, but I think I can take some hand sewing to keep me occupied while I wait!! Maybe I’ll get another circle finished on my Tea Leaves!!
I’m linking with Quilt Story for Fabric Tuesday. Click HERE